- Commencement will take place on Friday, December 15
- The ceremony will begin at 4:00 p.m.
- The ceremony will take place in Kimmel Arena
- Graduates must arrive dressed in their cap and gown between 2:45 – 3:15 p.m., in the Student Recreation Center
All graduates and guests are encouraged to follow UNC Asheville’s Community Expectations.
We invite graduates and guests to share their experiences on social media. Tag your posts and photos with #UncAvlGrads and follow the event on UNC Asheville’s Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Information for Graduates
The Registrar’s Office provides important dates and deadlines for graduation. If you are a prospective graduate and have not been receiving emails concerning graduation, please notify Alicia Shope at email@example.com. Reminders of the dates and deadlines are sent through email.
- Each graduate will receive 12 tickets to share with their family and friends.
- Graduates must show their OneCard, or a government-issued picture ID, in order to pick up tickets.
- Graduates can pick up their tickets at the Information Desk in the Highsmith Student Union, Tuesday, December 12 – Thursday, December 14 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
- Tickets not picked up by 4:00 p.m. on December 14 will be available at the Sherrill Center box office starting at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, December 15
Cap & Gown Celebration
Commencement festivities will kick off with the Cap & Gown celebration. At this event, graduates will be able to pick up their cap and gown (no charge), verify the pronunciation of their name, and order announcements and class rings.
- Thursday, November 9
- 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Haggard Student Life Porch located in Highsmith Student Union
- Stop by between noon and 2 p.m, for special activities including giveaways, prizes, food, photo opportunities, and more.
Veteran Student, Active Military, and First-Generation Graduation Ceremony
- Wednesday December 6,
- 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Alumni Hall in the Highsmith Student Union
- Please join the Office of Student Transitions and Family Programs while we celebrate our special populations graduates! Enjoy appetizers and receive your graduation cords in this meaningful ceremony to celebrate these accomplishments.
Lavender Celebration is a celebration that recognizes the achievements and contributions of graduating LGBTQIA+ students of all backgrounds through laughter, storytelling, and community.
- Thursday, December 14
- 10:00 a.m.
- Highsmith Student Union, Room 228
- Lavender Celebration is a celebration that recognizes the achievements and contributions of graduating LGBTQIA+ students of all backgrounds through laughter, storytelling, and community.
Donning of the Stoles Celebration
UNC Asheville’s Donning of the Stoles Celebration is born out of the Kente Commencement Ceremony, during which African American students are bestowed with Kente Cloth stoles to signify their African Heritage/Origins, celebrate their cultural pride, and be recognized for their achievements.
- Thursday, December 14
- 12:30 p.m.
- Highsmith Student Union, Room 228
- UNC Asheville’s Donning of the Stoles Celebration is born out of the Kente Commencement Ceremony, during which African American students are bestowed with Kente Cloth stoles to signify their African Heritage/Origins, celebrate their cultural pride, and be recognized for their achievements.
Departmental Distinctions and University Honors Ceremony
The University Honors and Academic Departmental Distinctions will be announced at this special ceremony. On the evening of Thursday, December 14, students who will receive University Honors, or Departmental Distinctions will be emailed an invitation to attend this ceremony. Guests and families are welcome to attend.
- Friday, December 15
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Blue Ridge Room in Highsmith Student Union
- The University Honors and Academic Departmental Distinctions will be announced at this special ceremony
- On the evening of Thursday, December 14, students who will receive University Honors, or Departmental Distinctions will be emailed an invitation to attend this ceremony
- Guests and families are welcome to attend
We welcome families and friends to campus to celebrate Commencement at UNC Asheville. Please visit our About Asheville page for preferred places to stay, and use our campus map to find your way on campus. The vibrant Asheville restaurant scene offers wonderful options for family and friends to gather and celebrate their graduates. Here is a link to the Asheville Foodtopia page where the opportunities are endless!
For those who are unable to make it to campus, the Commencement Ceremony will be livestreamed on the UNC Asheville YouTube channel. The Commencement program will be uploaded to this website in advance of the ceremony for you to view and enjoy.
Guest Seating & Security
Guest seating will begin at 3:00 p.m. (One hour before the ceremony is scheduled to begin.)
Backpacks are not permitted at the ceremony. Purses, camera bags and diaper bags will be allowed, but all bags will be searched.
Due to road construction, attendees should enter campus via Campus Drive off Broadway Street or Edgewood Road via Merrimon Avenue. Once on campus, attendants and signage will direct guests to available parking.
Guest Arrival & Parking
Parking will be available in most campus parking lots (parking lots P9 and P12 will be reserved for graduates).
Attendants will direct guests to available parking and shuttles will be circulating throughout campus parking lots.
We ask that vehicles carrying guests with mobility needs park in the accessible parking areas (any attendant can direct you to these parking lots) and then ride one of the many shuttles that will be taking people to the location where the ceremony will be taking place.
Parking for Graduates
There will be reserved parking for all graduates. Graduates: please plan to park on parking lots P9 and P12. Please see the campus map for the location of these parking lots.
UNC Asheville is committed to providing universal access to all of our events. If you have any questions about access or to request reasonable accommodations that will facilitate your full participation in Commencement, such as ASL interpreting or captioning, please contact Heather L. Lindkvist, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Institutional Integrity and Access, firstname.lastname@example.org or 828.232.5658.
Advance notice is necessary to arrange for accessibility needs. All requests must be made by Monday, November 27, 2023. We will attempt to implement late requests but cannot guarantee they will be met.
Severe Weather Notifications
In the event of severe weather, weather information will be posted on the University’s main webpage.
GradImages takes portraits of each graduate. To find your photos, visit https://www.gradimages.com/ and search the graduate’s last name, along with UNC Asheville and the graduation year. If you have questions about your photos, please contact GradImages Customer Service:
Career Services & Transcripts
UNC Asheville graduates receive all the services of the UNC Asheville Career Center at no charge throughout their lives. To learn about upcoming events, online job postings and more go to unca.edu/career-center.
Transcripts are provided to UNC Asheville graduates at no charge from the University in person, or online with a small processing charge from the National Student Clearinghouse.
UNC Asheville Alumni Association
Since the Association’s founding in 1947, lifetime membership has been a gift of the University to its graduates. The association helps alumni stay connected to their alma mater, classmates, friends, faculty and staff, as well as to connect with alumni throughout the United States and in more than 50 countries. To learn more about the Association, its activities and benefits go to alumni.unca.edu. Stay connected to your alma mater through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Class Notes and Information Update: Help us stay connected by keeping us informed of changes to your contact information and share with us news about your life after UNC Asheville.
As members of this community, we care about everyone. Faculty, staff, students, and visitors have a shared commitment to take the necessary precautions to avoid spreading COVID-19 while following all recommended health guidelines. Please see UNC Asheville’s Community Expectations for more information.